Tuesday 1 July 2014

Amplifiers for 'No Names'

Just recently discovered THIS very interesting article about Gondze/Gonje musicians in Northern Ghana and their desire for better amplification etc. What really makes it interesting is firstly the musical samples he has implanted in the article and secondly the fact that the article does not focus on Gonje/Gondze players associated with the chieftancy and other traditional stations, but rather with players working in the field of free lancing, or even just working in the field and playing some "reggae" on the Gondze with mates after work. This is a world of Gondze music I suspected existed while I was in Ghana but never came across it, my teacher being one of a long lineage of players associated with the chiefs of Savilugu and surrounding areas, and my southern location keeping me largely far away from the epicentre of these innovations. This ARTICLE is well worth a read and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment